Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Book Review: The Hunger Games

Title: The Hunger Games
Author: Suzanne Collins
Genre: Dystopian (YA)
Length: 374

Quality Rating: 10
Content Rating: PG-13

If you read this blog regularly, you probably already know I have no love for YA books. In fact, I generally avoid the YA section at all costs. However, I had heard a lot about The Hunger Games, so I decided I might as well give it a try and read it.....All I can say is "wow". I literally just finished this book. As in two minutes ago. I could not put it down. I made myself put it down for a little so I could revise a story, but the allure of The Hunger Games was too distracting. I couldn't write. I couldn't concentrate on my own work. I had to know what happened in this book. The Hunger Games has everything going against it - it's YA, it's written in first person, and it's present tense. But all of that just makes you feel like you're there with Kantiss. You are with her as she gets thrown into the horrific hunger games. You are with her as she fights for survival. You know why she is making all the decisions she does and you feel everything as she does. I don't give '10's lightly. In fact, if its a book a enjoy I usually just give it an '8'. I consider '9's to mean a book is special. I have never before given a 10 on this blog, but this book deserves it. You need to go out right now, buy this book, and read it. You won't regret it.

This book gets a PG-13 rating because there is lots of violence. It's a book about an epic fight to the death between teenagers. Granted the violence isn't very graphic, but I still feel a PG-13 rating is necessary. If you have a younger reader who would want to read this, you might want to read it as well. And you won't regret it. This book was truly fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment